Australian Police Defend Actions After Violent Clashes With Protesters During Israeli President Visit
Australian police have defended their conduct after violent clashes broke out with protesters during a Sydney demonstration against Israeli President Isaac Herzog’s visit. Videos from the rally show officers charging into crowds and striking demonstrators, sparking criticism from activists and some lawmakers.
New South Wales Police said officers showed “remarkable restraint” despite being outnumbered and facing assaults, reporting 27 arrests, nine charges, and injuries to 10 officers. Protest organisers and a state MP said several protesters were hurt during the confrontation.
The protest followed new government restrictions on public marches tied to Herzog’s visit, after authorities classified the event as high-risk. A last-minute court bid by organisers to overturn the protest limits was rejected.
Clashes Erupt at Sydney Protest
Demonstrators gathered near Sydney Town Hall on Monday night to protest Israeli President Isaac Herzog’s visit to Australia. The rally, organised by pro-Palestinian groups, drew large crowds — with police estimating about 6,000 attendees and organisers claiming as many as 50,000.
Footage circulating online shows physical confrontations between police and protesters, including officers punching individuals, deploying pepper spray, and dragging people away. Some protesters were seen praying when police moved in to clear areas.
Police confirmed 27 people were arrested and nine were later charged.
Police and Government Response
NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon said officers acted appropriately under pressure and showed restraint. Officials reported that 10 officers were assaulted and described multiple “melees” and rolling fights during the protest.
Assistant Commissioner Peter McKenna said police were significantly outnumbered and faced threats and violent behaviour from parts of the crowd. NSW Premier Chris Minns defended the response, urging the public not to judge events based only on short video clips without full context.
Authorities had granted special “major event” powers allowing police to restrict movement and shut down areas of the city.
Protest Restrictions and Legal Challenge
Organisers wanted to march from Town Hall to parliament or Hyde Park but were prevented under temporary protest rules introduced after December’s deadly antisemitic attack at a Hanukkah event in Bondi, where 15 people were killed.
Under the special rules, demonstrators were allowed to gather but not march. Protest organisers lost a court challenge against these restrictions just 30 minutes before the rally began.
Activist groups argued the limits escalated tensions and said the clashes could have been avoided if a march had been permitted.
Divided Voices at the Rally
The protest drew a mix of pro-Palestinian demonstrators and Jewish activists critical of Israeli policy. Some Jewish participants held signs opposing the Gaza war, while Palestinian supporters condemned Herzog’s visit and Australian government support.
Speeches at the main rally were largely peaceful, but tensions rose after crowds began chanting to demand permission to march, shortly before police moved in.

Comments
Post a Comment